After graduating from Munster High School in 1991, Elliott earned a B.S. degree in Criminal Justice and Criminology from Ball State University (1995), and a J.D. from The Claude W. Pettit College of Law, Ohio Northern University (2000). Prior to entering law school, Elliott worked for the Marion Superior Court Juvenile Division as a Youth Manager, and Probation Officer. While in law school, Elliott clerked for a criminal law attorney in Lima, Ohio and served as a research assistant for a law professor.
Upon completing his legal education, Elliott clerked and worked six years for a medium size Indianapolis law firm where he was elected partner and practiced in insurance defense litigation. He then worked for an Indianapolis litigation boutique firm for five years where he was a partner, and focused heavily in medical malpractice defense litigation. Most recently and prior to joining Susan and the Cline Law Group in December 2015, Elliott was a partner with an Indianapolis law firm specializing in civil litigation for the defense where he continued practicing in medical malpractice, licensing litigation, peer review, and products and premises liability defense.
Elliott Pinkie represents a wide range of physicians, physician practice groups, nurses, hospitals, and medical clinics, in the defense of medical negligence claims. Elliott has represented clients in bench trials and has first and second chair jury trial experience. He is admitted to practice before all state and federal courts in Indiana.
Areas of Practice
- Medical Malpractice Defense
- Medical Licensing and Credentialing
- Peer Review Disputes
- Premises and Products Liability
- General and Civil Litigation
- The Claude W. Pettit College of Law, Ohio Northern University (J.D., 2000)
- Ball State University (B.A., 1995)
Honors & Awards
- Profiled in the Indianapolis Stars Rising Star Business Section in 2009;
- Super Lawyers, 2012-2013; 2016-2018.
- Defends physicians and other health care professionals in medical malpractice litigation, professional licensing and credentialing, and peer review.
- Defends retail establishments against claims of negligence and premises liability.
- Defends individuals and businesses in negligence actions involving serious bodily injury and significant property damage.
- Defends product manufacturers against product liability claims under Indiana’s Product Liability Act.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Elliott is a frequent author and presenter on topics such as civil practice and procedure, law practice management, liability defense issues, and medical malpractice. Some of his activity in speaking and publishing includes:
- Presenter: “Indiana Medical Malpractice Act Overview,” Indiana Association of Nurse Anesthetists, Fall Meeting, 2017.
- Presenter: ISHRM Summer Education Conference, Indianapolis, August 21, 2015; Patient Litigation and Considerations for Risk Managers, Working with Defense Counsel.
- Presenter: Indianapolis Bar Association, July 8, 2015; Attorneys or Acrobats: Strategies for Balancing Time and Due Process in Administrative Hearings.
- Presenter: Administrators in Medicine (AIM) Regional Meeting, Indianapolis, October 28-29, 2013; Attorneys or Acrobats: Strategies for Balancing Time and Due Process in Administrative Hearings.
- Co-Author: The Science of Opening Statements; with Bill Kanasky, Ph. D.; Indiana Lawyer, June 22, 2012; on behalf of Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Trial Tactics Section.
- Author: Legal Pitfalls and Evidence Considerations in Healthcare Provider Apologies; Indiana Lawyer, February 1, 2012; on behalf of Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Health Litigation Section.
- Author: A Refresher in Insurance Defense Client and Company Reporting; Indiana Lawyer, June 22, 2011; on behalf of Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana, Trial Tactics Section.
- Guest Speaker: Legal Considerations in Defense of Assisted Living and Long Term Care Facility Personal Injury Lawsuits, presented at Indiana Health Care Association (IHCA) 2011 Annual Convention & Expo, May 2011, Indiana Convention Center; and at 2012 Convention and Expo at Indiana Convention Center in April 2012.
- Guest Lecturer, Introduction to Civil Practice, presented March 2010 at Ohio Northern University, Pettit College of Law.
- Presenter, Ethical Billing Practices: Ask Right and You Shall Receive, Part II, Indiana State Bar Association (ISBA) Law Practice Management Committee, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, November 2010.
- Presenter, Ethical Billing Practices: Ask Right and You Shall Receive, Part I, Indiana State Bar Association (ISBA) Law Practice Management Committee, Continuing Legal Education Seminar, November 2009.
- Author, Subpoena Response Procedures: Determine Possible Objections. National Business Institute, 2006.
- Indiana State (ISBA) and Indianapolis Bar Associations.
- Defense Research Institute (DRI);
- Defense Trial Counsel of Indiana (DTCI), member, Board of Directors;
- Indiana Society for Healthcare Risk Management (ISHRM), member, board of directors, Secretary 2016-2017, President-Elect 2019.
Civic & Community Involvement
- Social Health Association of Indiana, Inc., a Central Indiana United Way Agency, past President on the Executive Committee for Board of Directors.